Tuesday, August 12, 2008




Mea Culpa for being so long in posting. As the summer season winds down at the historic site so, it seems, do I. August always seems to be a hiatus month from writing & art, and I guess blogging falls in the same category.

That said, I thought I would post something. So, here is another of my young men.

This daguerreotype is an interesting example of what happens when you become intrigued with images of people from the past you don't - and can never know. I purchased this one due to the young man fitting my 'profile' (which is dark haired and slightly haunted looking. LOL) The dag arrived in the mail. I dutifully peeled it out of its ancient cradle of gutta percha and gold leaf and scanned the image. When the young man emerged from the solarized darkness of the copper sheet, it was pretty obvious to see he was not well when the photo was taken. Look at how thin and gaunt he is. At his upper arms. At the way he holds himself. It was common in the 19th c to have photos taken of the dead - and the soon to die. I think this young man is one of the latter. What was his story, do you think? Was this for a fiance who was soon to be left bereaved? For his mother, or family? Again, we will never know. But as intended, his image - and the fact that he lived - has been preserved.









No comments: