Tuesday, August 26, 2008

New YahooGroup for Historic Interpreters



I said in my post about Adena that I would get back to the idea of interpreters sharing with one another. Well, I am.

I have joined many lists online, but most historic ones are dedicated to reenactors. While these are wonderful people with their own range of interests and ideas, there is a difference between reenacting and interpreting. The problems you encounter when dealing with the public on a daily basis while working in a historic house or at a historic site are unique to the 'breed'. I have created a YahooGroup list where interpreters can 'virtually' hang out and share about just about anything.

Though the list has 19thc in its title, that can be regarded as only its main focus. Interpreting history - any century - has the same problems and joys: how do you handle the public, how do you communicate history in an interesting way to the thousands of school kids you see, and how do you keep people from LEANING on the artifacts???

Just a personal peeve there....

Anyhow, if you are interested, come and join us. The list has been in existence one day and already we have members from Colonial Williamsburg to Conner Prairie, from Ohio to Wisconsin and beyond.
I think we are going to have a very good time.





2 comments:

Rose said...

Hi! You probably don't remember me, but me and my family went and visited the J.Johnson farm... a few months ago... We talked for a bit and then I asked for a card, so I could volunteer some time.

I finally found a spot on my schedule (Mon.). I called the number around 7:30 pm. I was kind of expecting a person (stupidly) so my message makes me sound like an idiot with no idea what is going on. I don't even think I left my name!

I'd really appreciate it if you could give me some info. about volunteering, if you have the time.(Wouldn't hurt if you erased my awkward message as well, hint hint wink wink). Also, one of my friends wants to come with me, if that's ok.

Hope I can help,
Rose

P.S. I really like your blog!

LadyFaye said...

Rose,

Enjoyed meeting you and thanks again for all your help! Glad you liked the blog. I should be posting more historic content soon.

Marla