Wednesday, March 11, 2009


http://johnstonfarmohio.blogspot.com/

As I said last week when I was on my soapbox, the lovely sight above was almost lost this year. There was a movement afoot in the Ohio Historical Society to close all their sites - not because they wanted to, but because there simply were no funds to keep them open. Due to a few fine folks who stepped 'up to the plate' so to speak, the sites remain open, but with severely cut hours.

In order to make more people aware of our site, we have created a blog featuring our events, news, hours, etc. Posts will be history-oriented and will cover a range of topics from the Johnston children's lives to the excavation of the 1740s Pickawillany site - a trader's village that was burned to the ground, contributing what many historians think was the 'spark' that ignited the French and Indian War' - as well as Ohio's ancient Indians, the Miami and Erie Canal, and much, much more. Please visit it often or, if you want, sign up to follow the blog and recieve automatic updates.

Beyond this, I would like to make a plea that - wherever you are - you take time this summer to visit your local historic sites. I bet many of you never have. I was as guilty as the next person. I've been to Williamsburg, but up until 6 years ago I had never been to the site where I now work. It was in my backyard - WHY would I go there? If our history is to be preserved, we need you. Most times, an all day visit to a site with fun for the whole family costs less than the admission to a single movie.


No comments: