Monday, June 16, 2008

Writing

I once had the husband of a friend ask me what drove a person to create fictional people and worlds. With a smile I answered 'control'. I realize now that was rather flippant, though in a way it is true. Most of us feel rather out of control in our lives. By writing fiction, by creating other lives and ordering them as we want, the writer gets to be a god with a little 'g'.


That sounds impressive, doesn't it? It would be if it was true.


Anyone who writes, at least those who write organically as I do (with no outline) will tell you that the author has very little control over the worlds he or she creates. More often than not the characters compel the action. In other words, they take over and do exactly what they want. I know that sounds crazy to anyone who doesn't write, but it is true. And most often my characters know far better where they are going than I do. Really.


A case in point - the characters of the MacKirdy brothers to be found in my fan fiction Blood Was Only For Bleeding housed on the Daniel Boone TV site (thanks to Karen!). You can find the story here: http://www.danielboonetv.com/index.php?page=blood_was_only_for_bleeding The MacKirdys appear in chapter three of the 683 page tale. The Scottish brothers come into Cincinnatus' tavern in all of their fop and finery (wearing kilts to boot!) and lurk in the corner with their heads together, whispering. They follow Becky Boone out of the tavern and accost her, seeming to take her hostage. As I wrote that part of the story, I intended the MacKirdys to be villains. They were there to do harm to the Boones. But when they opened their mouths, the brothers declared they were there for no such thing - they were instead there to warn Becky and her husband that they were in danger!' 'What, I asked them, do you think you are doing? You're bad guys.' If you have read the tale, you know Alec and Findlay both have killer smiles. In my head they flashed them and politely replied that I 'dinnae ken whot I was aboot.'


Writing often goes this way. It is exciting, but scary as well - especially when you love complicated plots and multiple characters as I do.

In the coming weeks, I hope to let those who visit here in on a little of my creative process. For those of you who like my work, I hope you will find it interesting. For those who don't, maybe it will tempt you to take a chance on one of my books. And maybe, just maybe, I can help other would-be writers out there as I go along.




1 comment:

Lady Cincinnatus said...

Marla, nice poll!! Also, I like your writing tips too.