Thursday, June 19, 2008

Trading in the corset

No, I haven't given up on my job (or corsets). I'm just trading them in for 18th century stays.

This weekend I am stepping back half a century to 1775. A friend and I will be attending Fort Boonesborough's Women on the Frontier event. As an interpreter I spend 5 days a week talking about the women of the past. But talking isn't doing or being. This weekend, in a small way, I will get to be a woman of the past. Boonesborough is offering reenactors and interpreters a chance to join in as the employees of the fort go about their business - making candles and lye soap, starting fires with flint and steel, cooking, etc. There will even be a chance to climb onto a horse in full gear. Along with this there will also be seminars and just some plain old fun (how many times do you get a chance to pluck a fake chicken?) And guess what, we get to do this with the public watching.

No one ever said a reenactor is shy.

So this post will be the last one for a few days. When I return I will share a little bit about my experience and perhaps a photo or two. Whatever those are.

Oh, by the way, thanks to those of you who have responded to the poll. So far breathing is running neck-a-neck with lacing in the back.

No comments: